I&O EMEA, Platform Engineer - Cloud & Automation
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
Under the general direction of the Zone Head of Operations and the technical lead of the Zone Operation Track Lead with the same area of expertise, the Platform Engineer is responsible for the maintenance and support of the Cloud services and on premise data centers environments. This includes services in a virtual environment and physical environment. He/She collaborates with the Managed Service Provider in all activities regarding daily operations. The main purpose of this position is to ensure that the run of global infrastructure hosted in the zone meets the business requirements and expectations in terms of performance, availability, security and continuity.
The Platform Engineer will drive the operations activities under his/her responsibility with the Managed Service Provider’s teams, ensuring they follow our processes, manage our services, ensure business continuity with strong focus on continuous improvement plans and automation.
The main challenges for the incumbent are the following:
• Deal with complex technical environment, policy and organizational issues and with multi-dimensional problems.
• Deliver services to different IT organizations and countries across the zone.
• Provide support, installation and configuration for all virtual services and physical services in the Global Data Centre of the zone.
• Work in an agile and product driven environment not compromising process driven services.
• Design, plan, build and support automation infrastructure to fully coverage all zone products.
• Provide proactive and continuous improvement, technical upgrades, and support of servers, storage, and backup environments.
• Determine and implement proper monitoring points and tuning alerts to be able to monitor the environments proactively.
• Create and maintain systems administration documentation outlining administration policies and practices.
• Support escalation process to Operation Track Leads and DC Infrastructure architects if necessary.
• Support the Managed Service Provider teams to ensure the correct application of the Standard Operational Procedures and enhance daily operational functions.
• Provide after-hours support as needed, including a rotating 24x7 on-call support schedule.
• Health and Safety: Ensure excellence in Health & Safety (H&S) by providing visible leadership and driving for the execution of the basics of the H&S operating model and adherence to Group H&S standards and policies.
Level of education/qualifications normally required
○ Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related discipline.
○ Distinctive qualifications relating to his/her area of expertise.
Specific work experience
○ Experience working with offshore outsourcing organizations.
○ Experience in global roll-out management.
○ Implementation experience of infrastructure tools (monitoring, backup, provisioning,
○ Strong shell scripting experience.
○ At least 7 years of experience in domain.
Technical / functional skills
○ Strong skills in self organization, coordination (project management skills desired), process driven and team collaboration.
○ Strong knowledge of AWS Cloud Services
○ Strong knowledge of automation, scripting and self-service platforms
- IaC (Terraform)
- Monitoring and logging tools: ELK stack or similar (ElasticSearch, Logstash, FluentBit, Fluentd, Kibana, Grafana, Prometheus...)
- General network knowledge
○ Knowledge of Data Centre shared infrastructure (AWS, Servers, SAN, Network optimization, Security equipment...) and associated technologies.
○ Knowledge of Security Standards and FinOps
○ Nice to have knowledge of other Cloud providers and GKE
○ Strong knowledge Linux, and Windows operating systems.
○ Knowledge on Virtualization technologies (Nutanix and VMWare)
○ Broad range of understanding of ITIL, ITSM, Agile and industry best practices.
○ Ability to understand and deliver infrastructure services which are provided on a 24x7x365 basis.
○ Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
○ SAP Basis competencies would be appreciated.
○ Broad range of understanding of main business applications used by Holcim: SAP, Dorner, FireQ, Hodim, Logon, JDE, Cognos, WebMethods, Oracle, COMMAND, etc.
○ Excellent documentation skills and attention to detail.
○ Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
○ Open-minded, collaborative and an effective team player.
○ Ability to work in a multicultural and multi-located team.
○ Driven for success and aspiring to a culture of service excellence, always putting the customer, our people and our business at the centre of everything he/she does.
○ Ability to deal with ambiguity.
○ Ability to communicate openly and effectively with many diverse stakeholders, with external vendors and auditors, and with staff.
○ Ability to work proactively and under pressure considering the criticality required to ensure the right quality of service for the business.
Leadership and managerial abilities
○ Strong influencing skills and an ability to obtain commitment from key stakeholders.
○ Demonstrated ability to network in a complex matrix type organization structure.
○ Ability to build good working relationships with providers.
○ Strong project management skills.
○ Fluency in English, both verbal and written
○ Other local languages are an asset.
○ Occasional international travels for physical meetings with other I&O operational teams, Delivery teams or Managed Service Provider resources for the same zone (2 to 4 times a year).
○ International travels: up to 15%.
Role to be based in proximity to the Zone they support.
Sales, number of people, budget, volumes etc.
○ Infrastructure services provided on a 24x7x365 basis
○ 1 annual DR testing per zone.
○ Number of employees to serve in the zone: ~35 000 in EMEA
○ Number of servers & systems in the zone: ~5 000 in EMEA
○ CAPEX + OPEX management (budget to be defined)
List of direct reports: N/A
Key interfaces, stakeholders and relationships
○ Operations track leads within the zone: Collaboration on day-to-day activities and escalation.
○ Managed Service Provider: Collaboration and follow-up for daily operation activities.
○ Zone Build team: Collaboration to ensure transition to operating mode.
○ Zone Delivery Services: Collaboration to meet the business expectations.
To assist in ensuring that the Infrastructure & Operations practices & processes are
○ LafargeHolcim business objectives and priorities (Health & Safety, Communication, Distribution Model, Innovation, ...)
○ The LafargeHolcim IT infrastructure standard and strategy
○ The LafargeHolcim Identity Management Systems
○ The LafargeHolcim Business Systems
○ The LafargeHolcim IT Security Policies and Directives
○ The LafargeHolcim Demand ,Project Portfolio and Finance Management Policies and standards